Online Dating Safety: 10 Things Everyone Should KnowBy Merrill On November 4, 2009 Under Dating Tips
There is a thrill that people get from meeting a new person, and getting to know them. Online dating has made this easier then ever, but also dangerous Now of course not all the people you see looking for a partner online are crazy or sadistic, but rather these types of people exist everyday and in every walk of life. However, the computer can act as a shield for these types of people. It makes it easier to mask their identities, and their issues. So it is important to be prepared to encounter these types of people, what to look for from the way they talk and interact with you, and how never to get caught in a dangerous situation online.
1. Only arrange a meeting with someone you have been getting to know for a while now. If you feel that you are at the point where you want to meet someone, always meet them in a public place, away from your home. Make sure there are plenty of people that see you, and be sure to tell someone where you are going.
2. Split the bill. It is quite normal for men to pay the bill for dinner, but it also implies to some men that you now owe them something in return. Do not let this happen by simply paying half the bill.
3. Watch your alcohol intake. Yes that is right. It is easy for us to drink alcohol to make the situation seem more comfortable. However, it also makes it easier for men to take advantage of us. Be smart, and do not use booze to lighten the mood. You will just end up regretting it, or ruining a great night.
4. Do not accept a ride. Usually after the first couple of dates, this should be okay. However, on the first one, never accept a ride. Use your own method of transportation. Even if they seem like a great guy, you should not get in a car with them. Especially if you are alone with them, and not on a double date.
5. Never assume the best. This is not to say you should assume the worst, but do not put anyone on a pedestal just from a couple of dates. If they are not safe to be around chances are that they are manipulative, and great actors, so be careful. Just because he seems like prince charming doe snot mean he actually is.
6. Do not tell him where you live. Never give out your address, until you feel safe to do so. This should be after a few dates. Once they know where you live, there is no going back.
7. Do not go to any secluded areas. Even if you want to be alone, remember that you are on a date with someone you have no idea about. Yeah he tells you that he is a accountant from DC, but how do you know. Give yourself a chance to check him out before you take his word for everything, and before he takes you to his parents cabin by the lake.
8. Pay attention to your gut feelings. We all have a sense of intuition, and usually when we choose to ignore it something bad happens. So if your gut is telling you this guy is a psycho, do not risk it, and go with your gut.
9. Make sure someone knows where you are going, and who you are with. Even if you just tell your friend or room mate. Try to tel them who you are with, where you are going, and when you think you will be home. That way if something does happen someone has a ll the necessary information to start looking for you. Be sure to keep your cell phone with you at all times, and charge the battery before you leave.
10. Give your cell phone number out. It is preferred over a home phone number that they could potentially trace back to your home. If you are interested in them then you should be fine by giving this ut, but avoid giving him your home phone number, or address. If you give him your cell, do not let him GPS you with any iPhone apps. Even though these apps are fun, they are dangerous in certain situations.
So there you have it. Have fun but remember to be safe. Do not take online dating for granted, but do not assume the worst will happen. Chances are that these people are great, but a spoiled egg can ruin your experiences.